New Horizon Award
To recognize a member of the Sports Physical Therapy Section within their first seven (7) years of practice.
- Nominee must be a physical therapist and a member of the Sports Physical Therapy Section and have been a member for at least 3 years.
- Nominee shall demonstrate significant contribution in the areas of community service, education, and activities that promote the practice of Sports Physical Therapy for at least two (2), but not more than seven (7) years.
- Nominee shall demonstrate active participation in the Sports Physical Therapy Section for at least two (2), but not more than seven (7) years.
- A person can receive this award only once.
Criteria for Selection (Depth, scope and quality of contributions in each of the following)
- Demonstrated commitment to expertise within the clinical practice of sports physical therapy as evidenced by letters of support and nominees curriculum vitae.
- Demonstrated talents in writing and research that promote the practice sports physical therapy, as evidenced by letters of support and nominees curriculum vitae.
- Demonstrated talents in teaching/education/presentations and community activities that promote the practice sports physical therapy, as evidenced by letters of support and nominees curriculum vitae.
- Demonstrated commitment as a mentor or role model within the field of sports physical therapy as evidenced by letters of support.
- Demonstrated personal advancement in education as evidenced by nominee’s curriculum vitae and credentials.
- Participated actively in the Sports Physical Therapy Section in elected, volunteer or appointed roles.
- The nominee must be able to attend the CSM awards ceremony.
Procedure for Nomination
Any member of the SPTS may nominate candidates for the award. A maximum of one (1) award will be given in any year.
- The nominator is responsible for submitting identified documents in a single electronic award package. Please do not provide materials other than those stated below. Nominations will not be accepted through the mail.
- Nominations must be sent to the Awards Committee Chair and the Executive Director.
- Nomination packages must include:
1. Nomination form. Only the official nomination form will be accepted.
2. Support Statement (letter) from the nominator, not to exceed two (2) pages, including reasons for the nomination.
3. Current and complete curriculum vitae of the nominee.
4. Support letter from two (2) professional colleagues, one of whom must be a physical therapist, who can specifically address one or more of the criteria for selection, not to exceed two (2) pages.
No additional documents may be sent with the packet.
Notification of the Award
The Awards Team Coordinator will notify the recipient of the award and obtain written confirmation of acceptance. The name of the recipient will be kept confidential until announced
The Award and its Presentation
The award will consist of an award and recognition at the SPTS Awards Ceremony at the APTA Combined Sections Meeting.
New Horizon Award
1995 John Guido
1996 Brian Heiderscheid
1997 Kecia Erickson
1998 Allen Hardin
1999 Erin Barill
2000 Glenn Williams
2001 Bill Romani
2003 Tracy Martin
2004 Mike Reinold
2005 David Logerstedt
2006 Scott Miller
2007 Stacey Pagorek
2008 Terry Grindstaff
2009 John DeWitt
2010 Trevor Lentz
2011 Matt Briggs
2012 Debi Jones
2013 Jason Lunden
2014 Kari Brown Budde