The ankle and wrist are necessary for several routine or regular activities. Encountering pain for these could be challenging and hectic to do the normal tasks and take part in several other activities. The article gives you a brief on what causes the pain, what are the symptoms, and how to prevent or treat it to keep you fit and flexible.
Symptoms To Watch Out For And Causes
Let us look at the symptoms of pain caused to your Ankles and Wrists
- Swelling: Often larger and visible with redness and warmth swelling could be the first and foremost sign to take into account
- Stiffness: The motion of the ankle is reduced or still making your movements restricted and discomfort is another common sign.
- Pain: Concentrated on the joint you could feel mild to excess pain within your ankle
Common Causes Behind The Pain
- Sprains: These occur when the ligaments supporting the joint are twisted, extended, or torn. Sudden turns or twists are the reason behind its cause.
- Arthritis: The condition like osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis can lead to ankle pain
- Tendinitis: These are tendons present in the ankle, When any sort of inflammation is affected it turns the ankle to be stiff and painful
- Fractures: Mainly due to physical activity like traumas or accidents causes a great deal of pain and requires much more time to heal.
- Weakness: if you find yourself distressed over regular activities like holding something and being unable to grip it, understand it might be due to wrist pain
- Numbness: The affected area often feels numb or not under control, when you’re encountering the pain.
Common Causes Of Pain
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: The median nerve inside the wrist might get compressed which causes this condition along with pain and weakness around the wrist and hand
- Repetitive strain: Too many activities like overusing could lead to pain and weakness
Other causes include conditions similar to the ankle which involves arthritis and fractures.
Treatments To Ease The Discomfort
Since you might have understood the causes and symptoms let’s look at the proper way of treatment or safety measures to prevent future pain, Common methods include:
- Rest: Give both your ankles and wrist or overall joints a break by avoiding too much weight and not overusing them.
- Ice: in case of pain applying ice and rubbing it gently on the affected area certainly helps in reducing swelling and idle the pain. Use an ice pack or wrap in a towel to apply for around 20 minutes at the least to handle pain.
- Elevation: Keeping the ankle above the level of the heart could increase the pain hence avoid not doing it.
- Compression: Wrap the ankle or wrist with an elastic bandage to support the natural position and suppress the pain
- Pain Killers: You can also depend on the aid of over-the-counter pain relievers to counterattack the pain and inflammation.
- Physical therapy: These methods of treatment are a great way to get back your usual mobility and flexibility
These can be applied for both wrists and ankles and for the wrists you can also do these steps:
- Bracing: Using a wrist brace limits the movement which causes further pain and gives room for the wrists to heal
- Hot or Cold Therapy: Applying a heating or cooling pad depending on the conditions ease the pain. A heating pad relaxes the wrist while cooling or cold packs help reduce inflammation.
- Carpal Tunnel Treatments: If you are experiencing this condition try splinting corticosteroid injections and surgery the the worst-case scenario to treat it.
The final option if any of the above-mentioned tactics doesn’t work or is above your control is to visit a professional and seek medical assistance. The conditions could have underlying issues and long-term drawbacks, hence in case the home treatment doesn’t work make sure to visit and corporate to examine your ankle along with receiving guidance.
Pain in the Ankle or Wrist can be challenging as well as a pause to your daily routine and other activities making it difficult to commit to it. But with the right approach and care it is possible to have a strong healthy and flexible joint. Make sure to follow the steps and stay active in your daily life.