Obesity is one of the major health concerns that needs to be tackled on a big scale. At an individual level, many people search for effective weight-loss methods, where following a proper diet and performing physical activities is crucial. But have you thought of the Benefits Of Meditation In Weight Loss?
You must be aware that practicing meditation helps you to achieve awareness of your daily routine, and the same happens with your portion control. In this article, we have discussed the importance of meditation in weight loss and its benefits.
What Is Meditation?
Meditation is the practice of controlling the thoughts coming to your mind, which also helps you connect with your body movements and observe the activities while calming yourself. This is an ancient style of practice that has been implemented by humans for thousands of years and involves various techniques like breathing and chanting mantras to be in the present moment. Practicing all these methods can help you understand yourself more and keep yourself aware of the things around you.
When it comes to weight loss, determining the correct portion size is essential. Practicing meditation can help you choose the right food in the right amount, which eventually aids in your weight management. In this regard, we have provided more detailed information on weight loss and meditation.
What’s The Connection Between Meditation And Weight Loss?
Here, you have to understand that meditation has no direct link with each other. Meditation can only increase your concentration power and keep you aware of yourself and other things. If you want to lose extra calories, you have to follow a proper diet and be involved in physical exercise.
Hence, it seems very easy to follow a proper routine and avoid overeating to contribute to your weight management. But the reality is that weight loss requires lots of courage and motivation to get stuck in your plan. Here, meditation helps you while making you more focused and having better control in your life.
What Are The Benefits Of Meditation For Weight Loss?
You can find several studies that state the mindful practice of meditation helps in managing portion control . According to the report of 2018 studies conducted on 19 students, mindfulness helps reduce weight and improve eating behavior. As a result, they have effectively tackled health-related issues like obesity.
Additionally, some studies have also found that the people involved in meditation were able to medicate their stress and anxiety problems. You have to understand that these types of issues are the potential reasons for weight gain. Other than these benefits, meditation offers some other benefits in weight loss that we have discussed below.
- Meditation helps you avoid overeating, which is usually not possible to control after practicing intense exercises.
- Mindfulness also reduces the basal metabolic rate (BRM), which ultimately lowers the calorie intake while aiding in your weight loss.
- Practicing meditation increases your awareness level and decreases the urge to consume unhealthy food.
- Besides encouraging you to consume healthy food items, mindfulness also helps you make time for exercise.
- At last, you become more conscious about your weight loss program and strengthen your willpower.
Though meditation can’t help you in your weight loss program directly, it may encourage you to follow a healthy lifestyle instead. It can increase your willpower and provide the courage to follow a strict diet in very easy steps.
How Can I Start Meditating For Weight Loss?
Do you know the best thing about meditation? You don’t need any expensive equipment to perform. You just need at least 10 minutes from your whole day, and be with yourself to achieve calmness. Meditation is not only simple but also allows you to get yourself free from the past and future.
In this regard, you can follow these simple steps to perform your mindfulness without any disturbance.
- First, find the quietest place to perform your meditation for at least 10 minutes.
- Now, sit while folding your legs or any portion you are comfortable in.
- Leave your body at rest and close your eyes while sensing everything around you.
- After that, take a deep breath and hold for a few seconds to inhale all the energy around you.
- Now exhale slowly while releasing the negative energy within you, and wait for a few seconds.
- Repeat this process for 10 to 15 minutes while keeping yourself calm and focusing on the present.
Practicing this process daily can help you to increase your concentration and make you more aware. This mindfulness will also help you in your portion control and choosing the right food items.
Other Mindfulness Techniques
Other than meditation, choosing the right diet and portion control are also essential to losing extra calories from your body. Therefore, it is essential to choose the right food items that can provide enough fiber and other vitamins and minerals to aid in weight loss. But most importantly, it is recommended to eat slowly in small portions to achieve fullness.
Also, it may happen sometimes that you can feel guilty after having something unhealthy. In such cases, it is essential to forgive yourself and move on by learning from such incidents.
Till now, you might have understood that practicing mindfulness has no direct link with your weight loss. At the same time, you need lots of courage and motivation to follow a tough routine and proper diet. Here, meditation can help you to be aware of yourself and the food you are consuming.
Meditation also helps in portion control by lowering the BRM and avoiding unhealthy food. So, it is equally important to practice mindfulness while following a proper diet and being involved in physical activities.
Meditation can only help you to increase self-awareness and motivate you to follow the weight loss program effectively. It cannot decrease your belly or promote any physical changes in your body.
You will be able to focus more on yourself and ignore the distractions around you. You might experience peace within you and stay calm even in a hectic schedule.
Mindfulness can help you differentiate between a healthy and unhealthy diet, improve your portion control, and encourage you to perform your physical activity properly.
Practicing meditation, BRM improves the metabolic rate of the body.
Meditation helps you in releasing your stress and anxiety which can ultimately reduce the fat settlement in the body.
- Smith SC, Jr, et al. AHA/ACCF secondary prevention and risk reduction therapy for patients with coronary and other atherosclerotic vascular disease: 2011 update: a guideline from the American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology Foundation endorsed by the World Heart Federation and the Preventive Cardiovascular Nurses Association. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011;58(23):2432–2446. [PubMed]
- Ogden CL, et al. Prevalence of childhood and adult obesity in the United States, 2011–2012. JAMA. 2014;311(8):806–814. [PMC free article]