When the urge to pee strikes, before you dash to a nearby restroom, you feel the warmth of the urine dripping down your dress. Imagine being in a public place, that would be extremely embarrassing. That’s just how urinary incontinence behaves and so many people believe it’s as a result of weak bladder, pregnancy, constipation, nerve damage, being overweight and lots more. In this article, the main cause of urinary incontinence will be discussed. Also, how you can control your bladder will be explained.
What Is Urinary Incontinence? Symptoms And Causes
Urinary Incontinence is an accidental leaking of urine triggered by bladder problems. Most times urinary Incontinence do not result from underlying medical issues, it can be as a result of unavailability of restroom, intoxication, coughing, pressured laughter, heavy sneezing, extreme nervousness.
Urinary incontinence can happen to anyone but it mostly affects older people. If you have an inconveniencing or continuous urinary incontinence then you need to seek medical help.
Types Of Urinary Incontinence
The types of urinary incontinence include:
- Stress incontinence: this happens when pressure is exerted on the bladder through coughing, laughing or lifting something heavy.
- Urge incontinence: this is when you have the intense urge to urinate but immediately the urine flows out uncontrollably. This sometimes might be as a result of minor conditions such as infection, diabetes or neurological disorders.
- Overflow incontinence: this occurs when you experience constant driving of urine because you do not get emptied once.
- Functional incontinence: this when a person is physically challenged or has mental impairment that makes it difficult to get to the toilet and the urine flows out uncontrollably. Conditions like severe arthritis may lead to this. With the present of this condition you might be trying hard to unbutton your pants but not quickly enough then the urine gushes out.
- Mixed Incontinence: this occurs when a person experiences more than one type of incontinence possibly being stress incontinence and urge incontinence or any other.
The Main Cause Of Urinary Incontinence
When people hear about urinary incontinence, they quickly address it to an elderly person. Most people believe old age causes a weak bladder leading to urinary incontinence. Let’s delve into what primarily causes urinary incontinence.
- Overactive bladder: this is a problem with bladder function that leads to urgent or frequent urination.
- Urologic Disease: this is a disease affecting the urine collecting system, which consists of the kidney, ureter, bladder or urethra.
- Urinary tract Infection: this relates to any infection that affects the urinary system such as kidneys, bladder or urethra. You may also notice foul smelling urine or discomfort when urinating.
- Lower urinary tract symptoms: this refers to a group of clinical symptoms that involves the bladder, urinary sphincter, urethra and in men, the prostate.
- Constipation: the rectum shares many of the same nerves with the bladder and very close to it as well, when you have a hard stool, it can increase urinary urgency.
Temporary Causes Of Urinary Incontinence
There are causes of urinary incontinence thats are temporary which are:
- Alcohol intake
- Caffeine consumption
- Taking carbonated drinks and sparkling water
- Consuming artificial sweeteners
- Eating Excess chocolate
- Consuming too much chiller peppers
- Eating too much spicy food or food that contains too much sugar and acid.
- Taking medication for heart and blood pressure, also sedatives and muscle relaxant
- Excess consumption of vitamin C.
Underlying Medical Condition That Causes Urinary Incontinence
- Enlarged prostate
- Prostate cancer
- Neurological disorders
How Can You Control A Weak Bladder?
If you are seeking ways to control your weak bladder, do the following
- Perform daily pelvic floor exercises consistently up to three months.
- If you are currently smoking, quit the habit.
- Engaging more in high impact exercise and sit ups will exert pressure in the pelvic floor muscles which can lead to urinary incontinence instead try out Pilate exercise.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- If you are overweight, try to lose weight.
- Reduce caffeine intake.
- Treat constipation as they come.
- Reduce alcohol quantity intake.
- Drink plenty of water like 6 to 8 glasses a day.
- Avoid spicy food that includes curries and citrus fruits.
Urinary incontinence is a condition that often leads to embarrassment when in public, knowing the cause will enable you to know how to effectively treat and manage the condition. If you drink alcohol excessively, consider quitting. More importantly, when you notice urinary leakage, seek medical attention for diagnosis to ascertain the actual cause.