GABA(Gamma-aminobutyric Acid)is a naturally occurring neurotransmitter in the brain and central nervous system. It is known as an inhibitory neurotransmitter which means it provides the brain with a calm and soothing effect. Recently, people have started taking it as a supplement for various reasons. The research is still ongoing in this sector. Nevertheless, several have reported to have found solace in the wonder drug.
What Is GABA Used For?
Apart from being involved in various physiological and psychological processes of the body, GABA can-
1. Reduce anxiety and stress– When GABA levels are sufficient, it can help calm the mind and promote relaxation. Therefore the supplements are useful when you want to alleviate the symptoms caused by extreme anxiety and stress.
2. Improve sleep– When taken at appropriate levels, GABA can cure insomnia caused by elevated stress levels. This can also be useful to people who have problems staying asleep.
3. Regulate moods- Emotional well-being and mood management have a lot to do with GABA levels. If there is an imbalance in GABA levels, it could have catastrophic effects and give birth to mental health diseases like depression.
4. Cure epilepsy– Anti-seizure medications certainly work with elevated levels of GABA. It is believed that the inhibitory properties could be useful when curing the illness.
5. Relax muscle– People are also known to take GABA when they want to provide a little relaxation to their muscles after a strenuous period of workout.
How Long Does GABA Need To Work? Best Time To Take GABA?
The GABA supplement works the same GABA neurotransmitters work. Firstly, they bind all the GABA receptors in the brain which is why it manages to give a calming effect. This way neuronal excitability is reduced and it promotes relation. Secondly, GABA supplements also increase the activity of GABA receptors in our brain making way for GABAergic pathways. Thirdly, as it does all these, it can be beneficial in reducing your anxiety levels or at least normalizing them.
Lastly, this ability enables it to promote a good night’s sleep. The timing and the duration GABA supplements might take to work might depend on the reason why one might be taking it.
- Anxiety or stress reduction– Its primary function is also the reason why people consider taking it as a supplement. Though the onset time can vary, it should take effect in 30 minutes to 1 hour. To cure anxiety and stress, you could take it the moment you start feeling uneasy. This could be in the morning or before a stressful event. However, it is suggested that your doctor be made aware of the dosage and its administration.
- Improved sleep– GABA’s effect on sleep could vary from person to person. Some people could find it easier to fall asleep after taking it while to some others, it may take more than one for the effect to set in. As a part of your nighttime routine, you could take it 30 minutes before your bedtime. Consistency is always key when it comes to medicines.
- Epilepsy treatment– When it comes to controlling seizures, it is known to have taken effect almost immediately. The only catch is zeroing in on the right dosage that suits the patient. In this case, the doctor should decide the dosage and time to take some since anything less or more could have detrimental effects.
- Muscle relaxation– To relax the muscles after a tiring session workout, you could take GABA an hour after the pain arises. This is because, when it comes to muscle spasms, the supplement is rather effective.
Researchers believe that taking over 100 milligrams is advised. 300 milligrams could be taken in case, the former is too low. Raising the dosage to 500 milligrams should be fine but in any case, a doctor should be consulted.
Before taking the supplements, one should also know everything about their side effects. Even though it is naturally occurring, it should be moderated according to the needs of the patients. Researchers believe that there are still insufficient reports to establish its potency. For instance, the placebo effect, where the individuals feel better due to their beliefs could also be the reason why it is effective.