Fat loss is a process that requires more than just dedication. It can be taxing but a targeted process can help you lose fat from any part. We do know how diet and exercise are conventional ways to lose fat.
While some of them are popular including face and thighs, knees are underrated. However, if you are looking to lose some fat from the knee, we believe that our article will help you a lot.
We will be looking into 7 easy ways to lose knee fat and how you could do it. Read on to learn the strategies in detail.
What is knee fat and why is it important to lose it?
Knee fat could mean the fat that gets accumulated around the knee region in a body. Like other parts, your knee could also have fat around it which is distressing for some. Moreover, there are certain reasons why you should lose fat including,
1. Aesthetic Concern: Some people may find the fat around the knee to be distressing in multiple ways. Mostly, it is about self-esteem and how it can affect one’s confidence.
2. Potential Health Complications: Knee fat can also lead to multiple health complications including a problem in the posture of the leg. Having visceral fat which is fat around the organs, could also become a concern with knees having a lot of fat around them.
3. Joint Stress: With people who suffer from stress related to joints like rheumatism, it is not uncommon for them to feel elevated pain because of the fat accumulated around the knees. As knees are important for walking, fat around it can make it difficult.
4. Mobility: Losing fat around the knee can also increase your ability to move and travel freely while the fat keeps pulling you down.
What causes Knee fat?
Some of the reasons that can lead to knee fat include,
- Genetics: Our genetics can determine the way our body processes fat and this can lead to the accumulation of fat in the knees.
- Injury or joint issues: Multiple times people get surprised when they see their knee fat at an all-time high due to an injury that restricts its movement.
- Lack of exercise: Not engaging in physically active workouts could destroy the joints and lead to fat deposition near the knees.
- Age: Some people also gain a lot of weight around the knee when they are of a certain age; especially the elderly.
7 easy ways to lose knee fat
Knowing what we know, we are sure, you too want to lose fat more than ever and we will be giving you 7 easy ways to do that.
Those would be,
1. Lose your overall weight
Before going forward with the targeted therapy, you should try to lose weight in general. Losing visceral and subcutaneous fat can be rewarding in more than one way.
Not only can it improve the way you move but also provides enough relaxation to your knee. To lose weight in general, you should engage in various dieting strategies along with effective exercises.
2. A bike ride
Never underestimate the power of bike riding. Bike riding could be the ultimate weapon that can help you lose all the extra fat around the knee.
This is because every time you stress the pedal, your knees are being pushed beyond their limits and this would lead to their reduction.
3. Run or jog
Running or jogging is generally considered to be good due to its multiple benefits. It is known for enhancing the cardiovascular strength and stamina.
Running or jogging helps stretch the muscles in the leg along with bones which make it healthy and durable. This could also increase the bone’s density.
Squats are widely popular among celebrities and gymgoers. Could this be because it is the easiest way to lose weight or could it be because it engages your hamstrings, quadriceps, glutes, and calves? Both times, our answer would be yes and that is exactly why you should include some in your exercise routine.
To perform lunges, all you need to do is keep a leg forward alternatively and put pressure on it. Remember to move your body along with it.
The star of the strength training exercises, lunges are a type of controlled exercise that can be performed in any scenario. You could do it to expand the range of your leg muscles which can again help you lose the knee fat.
6. Jump rope
Otherwise known as skipping, it is a very popular cardio exercise that is often chosen by several athletes. The way it improves breathing and regulates heart rates is astonishing. Moreover, it also involves a series of actions before choosing to jump.
Firstly, you need to choose a rope that is good in quality and quantity. Secondly, find a way to make it fun. You could make it a part of your exercise routine and concentrate on the knee area.
7. Leg lift
Lifting one leg at a time can seem to be futile. But we are here to bust that myth for you. Leg curlers or simple leg-lifting exercises could be extremely beneficial when it comes to putting pressure on the knees.
Knees need constant movement to be stronger and that is what the leg lift does. You can do it easily at any place of your choice.
All the exercises can be performed in a home environment and are easier to do. However, you should be aware of the fact that exercising alone cannot be helpful when reducing fat in any part of the body. It is ideal to always combine with it a set of good habits.
This includes eating on time, consuming a balanced diet, and getting heavy sleep. Moreover, one shouldn’t be indulging in spoiling habits such as alcohol or smoking.
As some people refuse to believe, taking stress could also have catastrophic results when it comes to the weight loss process. Therefore having a positive outlook along with all these could give desired results.
- Cheon YH, et al. (2017). Relationship between decreased lower extremity muscle mass and knee pain severity in both the general population and patients with knee osteoarthritis: Findings from the KNHANES V 1-2. DOI:
- Canning C, Bartholomew JR. Lipedema (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29143577/). Vasc Med. 2018 Feb;23(1):88-90. Accessed 6/1/2023.