Are you embarrassed by wearing sleeveless dresses due to hand fat? It becomes a nagging problem especially when you make a public appearance. As you age, there will be a dip in your metabolic rate.
If you are following a sedentary lifestyle too, the excess fat will get stored in your arms. However, no worries. In this article, we take you through 7 effective ways to lose arm fat, just by remaining in the comfort of your home.
7 effective ways to lose hand fat
Discover seven efficient methods for reducing hand fat that combines workouts, dietary changes, and professional advice. Discover how to shape and tone your hands with this in-depth guide for a more assured, well-proportioned body.
1. Track your calories
Take the first step towards losing arm fat by monitoring your calories. According to studies, you need to burn around 3500 calories to burn a pound of fat.
The most effective way to achieve this target is by cutting down around 500 calories from your diet every day. Thus, by the end of one week, you will be able to burn 3500 calories.
There’s a simple technique to track your calories. Whenever you eat something, jot down that food item and the calorie content in it in a notebook. By making this a practice, you can easily monitor your calorie consumption.
2. Increase the intake of proteins
To achieve toned arms, you need to include sufficient amounts of protein in your diet. This is due to the reason that the amino acids present in proteins are the building blocks of constructing muscles.
Studies show that increasing the amount of protein intake can lead to fat loss. Protein not only keeps you fuller for longer times but also decreases the hormone ghrelin which increases hunger.
Eat more lean meats, nuts, seeds, beans, seafood, and leafy vegetables to get rid of those flabby arms.
3. Do regular exercise
Exercise plays a vital role in the reduction of arm fat. The below 3 exercises are best recommended by experts.
- Keep your body in a plank position. It should be such that your body is supported on your palms and feet.
- Lower your body slowly so that it is parallel to the floor.
- Now lift your body back up. Please note that your body should be straight.
- Do at least 10 repetitions.
- The first step is to stand straight.
- It should be followed by lifting your arms straight to the shoulder.
- The next step is to do a front-to-back motion in front of you.
- Do 3 sets of 10 repetitions daily.
- Stand straight and hold one dumbbell in both hands.
- Stretch your arms sideways. It should be followed by slowly bringing them forward.
- Keep in mind that your arms should be kept straight.
- Repeat the exercise at least 20 times.
4. Cut down sugar intake
To lose arm fat, it is quite important to cut down the consumption of foods with excessive sugar content. Thus, whenever you drink a cup of coffee or tea, make sure that you add less amount of sugar to it.
Another technique is to replace the habit of buying canned or bottled juices with homemade fresh fruit juices. Also, Instead of eating a sugar-loaded breakfast cereal, you can have oats porridge and add fresh fruits to it.
5. Increase fiber consumption and cut down refined carbs
There are two benefits of consuming dietary fiber. Apart from making you feel full, it also increases the amount of time taken by your stomach to empty itself.
As a result, you can break the habit of bingeing and manage your caloric intake.
The danger of consuming a diet rich in carbohydrates is that it reduces the testosterone levels in women. Eventually, this will lead to the loss of muscle mass and such people will end up with the annoying problem of flabby arms.
6. Drink more water
Water not only helps in maintaining adequate hydration levels and eliminating waste from your body. Consuming water is equally important in fat loss as well.
According to a 2016 research review in Frontiers in Nutrition, hydration led to weight loss among subjects. This was achieved by decreasing the appetite and increasing lipolysis. For the unknown, lipolysis is the process by which your body burns fat for energy.
7. Eat a proper breakfast
Do you have the habit of skipping breakfast? Never do that because you will eat too much throughout the day. Always start your day by having a proper, wholesome breakfast.
Other techniques to lose hand fat
Stop focusing on arm fat alone
It is a wrong notion that one can reduce only arm fat. Thus, focus on total body fat loss and this can be made possible by healthy eating habits and specifically targeted exercises.
Do cardio exercises
Thus, apart from the exercises mentioned earlier, aim for at least half an hour of moderate-intensity cardio around three to five times a week.
Get adequate sleep
Make sure that you get sound sleep of 7 to 8 hours daily at night. The reason is that when you get a good night’s sleep every night, it regulates appetite and promotes weight loss. Ultimately, it will lead to the reduction of overall fat as well as arm fat.
Hope you are all excited to try out the 7 effective ways to lose hand fat. Though losing weight is one of the most effective ways of losing fat, some people may be concerned that their muscles will bulk up.
However, it is wrong and muscle building does not happen overnight. However, if you are still skeptical, get rid of those flabby arms by opting for exercises that don’t involve weights.
Last but not least, there is no definite answer to how long it takes to lose arm fat as it varies from person to person. There are multiple factors such as the amount of fat, the intensity of the exercise regime you follow, and your metabolism.
- Hou Y, Jia X, Xuan L, Zhu W, Deng C, Wang L, Zhao Z, Li M, Lu J, Xu Y, et al. Association between mid-upper arm circumference and cardiometabolic risk in Chinese population: a cross-sectional study. BMJ Open. 2019;9(9):e028904. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2019-028904.
- Wijnhoven HA, van Bokhorst-de van der Schueren MA, Heymans MW, de Vet HC, Kruizenga HM, Twisk JW, Visser M. Low mid-upper arm circumference, calf circumference, and body mass index and mortality in older persons. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2010;65(10):1107–1114. doi: 10.1093/gerona/glq100.