Stomach burning or acid reflux is a common digestive trouble. It is characterized by a burning sensation in the throat, chest, and sometimes lower abdomen. When the stomach acids find their way back to the food pipe or esophagus causing irritation and discomfort.
Causes Of Stomach Burning – Factors Involved In Stomach Burning
Before delving into the cures for heartburn, exploring its causes could be a great idea. Primarily, the sudden acid reflux could be attributed to GERD also known as Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. It deals with the weakening of the Lower esophageal sphincter that divides the stomach and esophagus. When this happens, the acids are known to spill over to the throat and can cause acid reflux.
Secondarily, you could also have acid reflux if one has a hiatal hernia. Hiatal Hernia forces the part of the stomach to push through the diaphragm. Our diet and lifestyle also contribute a lot. For instance, if you are prone to overeating, eating just before taking a nap, or laying down after food, it could be inviting acid reflux.
Moreover, this could occur if you eat trigger foods like fried foods and pizza. Again being obese can also make you vulnerable to cases of acid reflux frequently than they should. Pregnancy has a side effect of acid reflux like morning sickness or sore feet.
Lastly, smoking can also relax the LES making it vulnerable to weakening and spilling in of the acids. As we sift through the reasons, we couldn’t help but wonder if not treating it can be an option. Untreated stomach burning has too many serious challenges that could not be as easy to resolve as the heartburn itself. Acid reflux for longer periods can lead to esophagitis.
Esophagitis is a serious condition that can permanently damage the esophagus. Barrett’s Esophagus can also torment you where the lining of the esophagus could undergo inflammation, increasing the risk of cancer. Additionally, strictures to the back of the throat are a common ailment making it difficult to swallow food and ulcers that are very painful.
Remedies To Cure Stomach Burn Immediately
To cure this serious condition, you could resort to the following remedies-
1. Antacids– These are the most effective panacea for acid reflux. They are available over the counter making them accessible. Available in both liquid or chewable tablet form, Antacids are made up of alkalines or bases that neutralize the acids inside our stomach. This renders it harmless therefore the problem goes away on its own. However, it is important that you adjust the dosages according to your needs.
2. Baking Soda-Baking soda or Sodium Bicarbonate can also neutralize the acid in your stomach providing some relief. You should dissolve one teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water and sip slowly. This remedy should be sparingly used as its repeated use can lead to electrolyte imbalance.
3. Ginger Tea– If chemicals do not excite you, you should go with natural ginger tea. Ginger can reduce inflammation and can alleviate the heartburn symptoms. To make the tea, you need to slice ginger into small pieces and add them to boiling water. It should be let to seep in for at least 15 minutes. You can also add a tinge of honey to flavor it.
4. Chew Gum– This is a particularly unusual remedy but chewing can stimulate the production of saliva. Saliva can help the pain in your esophagus as it neutralizes the acid. Additionally, it pushes the acids further down by swallowing. But be careful about ingesting air as it can open another can of worms.
5. Elevate Your Body– If none of this works, you can attempt to elevate your upper body to regulate the flow of acids.
6. Avoid Trigger Foods– This is actually easy by watching what you eat. Don’t go for spicy or fatty foods, caffeine, or alcohol that can worsen the condition.
7. Loosen Tight Clothes– If you are wearing tight clothes, try loosening them, especially around the waist area to relax the condition. Practice wearing loose clothes, especially during meals.
Acid reflux is hardly fatal but if exposed for a long time it can cause unwanted problems. If the condition escalates, you should consider visiting a doctor and getting medical attention.