A healthy stomach makes a person happier and healthier and feel better mentally and physically. However, many stomach disorders can lead to acne and discomfort, painful sensations, and even infections. Stomach flu or gastroenteritis is a dangerous condition that shows a brutal mix of symptoms. Also, the initial stages start with the chill, fever, and nausea, and further cause vomiting, severe acne, pains, and diarrhea. Ease stomach flu symptoms with proven treatments for a quicker recovery.
Stomach flu takes time to cure, taking about 2 to 5 days to complete its duration. However, by taking proper precautions, prevention, and treatment, you can immensely control the situation and get cured. Let’s explore through this article what stomach flu is, how it is caused, what the treatment is associated with, and the best home remedies to cure it without any side effects.
What Is Stomach Flu (Gastroenteritis) And Its Symptoms?
Stomach flu is the major cause of many inflammatory problems that occur in the gastrointestinal tract. Also, it shows the most common signs and symptoms that are often referred to as stomach flu. It includes signs like diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, and severe abdominal pains. Also, you have to immediately run to the toilet to clear your stomach. It further makes the person weak and fragile as it lowers the sugar level in the body.
Some symptoms that define stomach flu in a person are the following-
- Irritated or uncomfortable stomach and urge to go to the bathroom every few minutes.
- You may suffer from cold-like symptoms, such as a sore throat or a runny nose.
- It causes body acne, headaches, diarrhea, fevers, and a weaker body.
- Unable to eat or drink anything.
- You may suffer from clammy skin or frequent sweating.
- You may suffer from unusual weight loss.
- You can go through confusion, muscular cramps, or deal with other health issues.
What Are Different Causes Of Stomach Flu (Gastroenteritis)?
When considering the symptoms, stomach flu and food positioning share the same symptoms but are totally different. Stomach flu is normally caused due to infections spread through poops or vomits of the infected person. Similarly, food poisoning is caused due to infected food or drink. Some of the causes of stomach flu are the following-
- You might get the infections through contaminated food or water.
- Besides, it is also spread through touching an infected person or surface and then infecting everywhere.
- Lowering of the immune system is another cause of stomach flu.
- Changes in individual diet and lifestyle changes are another cause of the spread of infections.
- Due to the spread of bacteria through food and drink or lower hygiene.
Top Remedies For Treating Stomach Flu (Gastroenteritis)
Although stomach flu lasts for 1 to 2 days, there are various home remedies that you should consider. Some of them are given below-
1. Eat More Banana, Rice, Applesauce, And Toast
When suffering from stomach flu, it makes it harder for a person to drink or eat anything. However, at these times, you can take a BRAT diet, which consists of bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast, as these are easier to digest. Also, it contains carbohydrates that give you energy to fight infections, can replace the essential nutrients that you lost through vomiting, and help strengthen the stomach lining.
2. Must Try To Drink More Fluids
You can go for drinking more fluids as they are easier to digest and help cool down your burning stomach. Also, it will help to maintain body fluids that are lost through excessive vomiting, sweating, or diarrhea and reduce the risk of dehydration. You can use various fluids like water, fruit juices, or lemonade. Also, there are many over-the-counter drinks like mint water, fenugreek water, cumin water, and others that can be drunk to stimulate the situation.
3. Avoid Eating Processed Or Oily Food, Or Do Not Eat Even
If suffering from stomach flu, it is necessary to avoid processed and oily foods as they can trigger the situation. These foods are high in fiber, which makes it difficult for the stomach to digest. So, avoid eating fast foods, masala-based foods, and drinks that can cause severe pain and discomfort. Alternatively, avoid eating food for some hours and take liquid-based foods as they can be digested more easily than others.
4. Have Plenty Of Rest And Sleep
Another best strategy to deal with stomach pain and flu is having plenty of rest and sleep. It will help your stomach rest, and you can stay away from frequent vomiting and other symptoms. Besides, it helps you to fight infections and repair damage to the cellular tissue of the stomach.
5. Avoid Dairy, Caffeine, And Alcohol Consumption Until Recovery
If you want to get a better cure without having side effects for stomach flu, it is necessary to avoid dairy products, caffeine, and alcohol consumption until you recover. Caffeinated drinks like coffee, black tea, and chocolates can affect the sleeping hours and stomach. Besides, dairy products can be harder to digest, and alcohol can trigger the situation.
6. You Can Follow Some Exercises Or Acupressure To Control Nausea
Acupressure is proven to be the best remedy for treating some types of nausea as it helps to stimulate the muscles of the body. Also, you can do some mild exercises like walking, gas release exercises, or mild aerobic exercises, as they will help you recover from stomach flu faster.
Related Article: The Stages of Stomach Flu – Treatments And Common Facts!
Who Are Most Affected By Stomach Flu (Gastroenteritis)?
Stomach flu can affect everyone, but some can stay away from this dangerous situation. Also, those who have weaker immune systems are affected. Besides, children also suffer from this condition as they are unaware of proper hygiene and self-care. It causes them stomach flu and can worsen if not taken proper care. So, it is necessary to boost their immune system, energy level, and knowledge of healthy food and drinks.
The stomach flu is likely to make your condition worse either mentally, physically, or emotionally. So, even if taking all preventive measures has no effect on your health and conditions, consulting a doctor would be the appropriate choice for dealing with stomach flu. Besides, if you are taking medication by yourself, it is necessary to consult a doctor and take medicines properly.
Moreover, it is necessary to take precautions and preventive measures like hygiene, Self-care practices, eating good food and drink, living a healthier lifestyle, and having a better life. Besides, teach your children so that they can stay away from infection and give them a healthy and nutritional diet.
- Bozkurt D, Selimoğlu MA, Otlu B, Sandıkkaya A. Eight different viral agents in childhood acute gastroenteritis. Turk J Pediatr. 2015;57(1):68–73. [PubMed]
- Bányai K, Estes MK, Martella V, Parashar UD. Viral gastroenteritis. Lancet. 2018;392(10142):175–186. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(18)31128-0. [PMC free article]